The Supreme
Court, on Monday, pulled up the Uttar Pradesh (UP) government for its
“high-handed” demolition of houses in Prayagraj, saying it had shocked its
conscience.
“It
shocks our conscience how the residential premises were demolished in a
high-handed manner. The manner in which the whole process has been conducted is
shocking. Courts cannot tolerate such a process. If we tolerate it in one case,
it will continue,” said the Bench comprising Justices Abhay S Oka and Ujjal
Bhuyan.
According to sources,
the demolitions targeting the homes of a lawyer, a professor, and three others
in Prayagraj were carried out within 24 hours of issuing notices. The
demolition notice was issued on March 1, 2021, served on March 6, 2021, and the
demolition was carried out on March 7, 2021. The petitioners’ counsel alleged
that the authorities demolished the houses within 24 hours, leaving them no
opportunity to challenge the action under Section 27(2) of the UP Urban
Planning and Development Act. They argued that the state had wrongly linked
their land to gangster-politician Atiq Ahmed, who was killed in 2023.
The
petitioners, including advocate Zulfiqar Haider, professor Ali Ahmed, two widows,
and another individual, approached the SC after the Allahabad High Court
dismissed their plea against the demolition.
Defending
the state’s action, Attorney General R Venkataramani said the demolitions
followed adequate due process. He added that large-scale illegal occupations
had been observed and that it was difficult for the state government to control
unauthorised possession.
Venkataramani argued that the first notice was
issued on December 8, 2020, followed by notices in January and March 2021.
“Therefore, we cannot say that there is no adequate due process. There is
adequate due process,” the Attorney General said.
While
the state defended its action, the court observed procedural lapses and said
the owners were not given enough time to file an appeal.
“Notice served on March 6, demolition carried
out on March 7. Now we will allow them to reconstruct,” said Justice Oka.
The
top court Bench noted that the state should have acted fairly by giving the
occupants sufficient time to file appeals and hence, it would permit the
reconstruction of the demolished homes. However, the court laid down certain
conditions:
•
They must pay for the reconstruction themselves
•
They must give a written undertaking that:
•
They will file legal appeals against the original demolition orders within the
deadline
•
They will not claim any special rights or ownership (equities) over the land
simply because they are being allowed to rebuild
•
They will not sell or transfer any part of the property to others (no
third-party interests)
•
If the Court later rejects their appeals, the petitioners must demolish the
newly built houses again, at their own expense
To
give the petitioners time to submit this undertaking, the matter was adjourned.
Denouncing
the trend of state authorities resorting to “bulldozer actions” against persons
accused of crimes, Justice Ujjal Bhuyan said, “In recent times, we are
witnessing a very disturbing and depressing practice of State authorities using
bulldozers to demolish houses and properties of persons accused of committing
certain offences.”
While
addressing students at Bharatiya Vidyapeeth New Law College, Pune, he expressed
concern over such actions where houses are demolished as a form of punishment
without any legal trial. He said such measures are akin to bulldozing the
Constitution itself.
“According to me, using a bulldozer to
demolish a property is like running a bulldozer over the Constitution. It is a
negation of the very concept of rule of law and, if not checked, would destroy
the very edifice of our justice delivery system,” Justice Bhuyan said.
Justice
Bhuyan also observed that demolishing the home of an accused person causes
undue hardship to innocent family members.
It
was not the first time the SC had condemned “bulldozer actions” by a state
government. The top court has previously criticised states for acting like
judges by punishing accused persons awaiting trial through such demolitions.
Recently, a video from an anti-encroachment drive in
Ambedkar Nagar’s Jalalpur area in UP surfaced on social media, sparking
widespread outrage. The footage shows an eight-year-old girl clutching her
books and running away as her shanty is demolished by a bulldozer.