The Supreme Court on Wednesday said states showed a
high per capita growth when asked to highlight the development index but
claimed 75 per cent of their population was below poverty line when it came to
subsidies.
A bench of Justices Surya Kant and N Kotiswar Singh
said the benefit of subsidies should reach the genuine beneficiaries.
"Our concern is that are benefits meant for the
genuinely poor persons percolating to those pockets who do not deserve it?
Ration card has become a popularity card now," said Justice Surya Kant.
The judge went on, "These states just say we
have issued these many cards. There are some states who when they have to show
their development they say our per capita income is growing. And then when we
talk of BPL, they say 75 percent of the population is BPL. How can these facts
be reconciled? The conflict is inherent. We have to ensure that benefits reach
the genuine beneficiaries." The hearing related to a suo motu case
initiated during the COVID19 pandemic to address the miseries of migrant
labourers.
Advocate Prashant Bhushan, appearing for some
intervenors, said the anomaly stemmed from the inequalities in the income of
people.
"There are a handful of people, who have huge
wealth as compared to other population and per capita income figure is average
of total income of the state. The rich continue to be getting richer while the
poor remain poor," he said.
The poor migrant workers, who are registered in the
e-shram portal of the government, need to be given free ration and the figure
was around eight crore people, Bhushan said.
Justice Surya Kant said, "We hope that in the
issuance of ration cards, there are no political elements involved. I have not
lost my roots. I always want to know the plight of the poor. There are families
who continue to be poor." Bhushan said the Centre did not conduct the
2021 Census and was continuing to rely on data from the 2011 Census as a result
around 10 crore people, requiring free ration, remained out of the BPL
categories.
Additional solicitor general Aishwarya Bhati,
appearing for the Centre said the government was giving free ration to around
81.35 crore people under the National Food Security Act and another 11 crore
people were covered by another similar scheme.
The bench adjourned the matter and asked the Centre
to file its response on the status of free ration distributed to the poor.
On December 9, last year, the top court frowned upon
the freebie culture and stressed on the need to create job opportunities and
capacity building for migrant workers.
It was surprised when the Centre informed the court
that 81 crore people were being given free or subsidised ration under the
National Food Security Act of 2013.
"It means only the tax-payers are left
out," it then said.
Bhushan had contended that directions were issued by
the top court from time to time to all states and union territories to issue
ration cards to migrant workers for availing free ration provided by the
Centre.
On November 26, last year, the top court flagged the
difficulties surrounding the distribution of freebies and said Covid times were
different when distressed migrant workers were provided the relief.
In a judgment on June 29, 2021, and subsequent
orders, the top court passed a slew of directions to the authorities asking
them to undertake welfare measures, including giving ration cards to all
migrant workers, who were in distress during the COVID-19 pandemic, registered
with the e-shram portal.
The portal is a comprehensive national database of
unorganised workers launched by the Union Ministry of Labour and Employment
with the primary aim of facilitating the delivery of welfare benefits and
social security measures to the country's unorganised sector workers.
On September 2, last year, the top court asked the
Centre to file an affidavit giving details about compliance with its 2021
judgement and subsequent directions on providing ration cards and other welfare
measures to migrant workers.
The Centre previously said it was providing ration
to all those people who were eligible under the National Food Security Act.
The top court, in the 2021 judgement, termed as
"unpardonable" the Centre's "apathy and lackadaisical
attitude" towards creating the national database for unorganised workers
and ordered its commencement by July 31, 2021, for the registration of all
migrant workers and providing them with welfare measures.
It had ordered the states and union territories to
frame schemes for providing free dry ration to them till the pandemic lasted
while asking the Centre to allocate additional foodgrains and directing the
department concerned to "allocate and distribute food grains" to
migrant labourers".