The Supreme Court on Wednesday asked the Telangana
assembly speaker why he took about 10 months to issue notices on the petitions
for the disqualification of BRS MLAs who defected to the Congress.
A bench of Justices B R Gavai and Augustine George
Masih also took exception to a purported statement of Telangana Chief Minister
A Revanth Reddy in the assembly that there would be no bye-elections.
"If this is said on the floor of the house,
your chief minister is making a mockery of the Tenth Schedule," Justice
Gavai observed.
The Tenth Schedule of the Constitution relates to
provisions for disqualification on the ground of defection.
The bench was hearing arguments on the pleas on the
alleged delay by the Telangana assembly speaker in deciding the pleas seeking
the disqualification.
While one of the pleas challenged the November 2024
order of the Telangana High Court on the disqualification of the three MLAs,
another petition was filed over the seven remaining legislators who defected.
A division bench of the high court in November last
year said the legislative assembly speaker must decide the disqualification
petitions against the three MLAs within a "reasonable time".
The division bench's verdict came on the appeals
against the September 9, 2024 order of a single judge.
The single judge had directed the secretary of the
Telangana assembly to place the petition seeking the disqualifications before
the speaker for fixing a schedule of hearing within four weeks.
On Wednesday, the apex court asked, "If the
speaker does not at all act, then the courts in this country, which not only
have a power but also a duty as a guardians of the Constitution, would be
powerless?" Senior advocate Mukul Rohatgi, appearing for the office
of the speaker, said the first disqualification petition was filed on March 18,
2024 followed by two other such pleas filed on April 2 and April 8 last year,
respectively.
He said the first petition was filed in the high
court on April 10 last year.
"Is this waiting for a reasonable time?"
Rohatgi asked.
When the bench asked about the time taken in issuing
notice on the disqualification petitions, the senior advocate referred to the
pendency of matter before the high court.
He said the speaker issued the notice on the
disqualification petitions on January 16.
"Even if they had filed a petition (in the high
court) within two weeks, what took you 10 months to issue first notice?"
the bench asked further.
Rohatgi said notices were perhaps not issued on the
disqualification petitions as the matter was pending in the high court.
"Then why did you issue notice when we are
seized of the matter? Why did you issue the notice? Should we now issue
contempt?" Justice Gavai asked.
Rohatgi referred to the dates and said a plea
challenging the order of the high court's division bench was filed in the apex
court on January 15, 2025 and the speaker issued notice on the disqualification
petitions on January 16.
"You found it appropriate not to proceed
further during the pendency of the proceedings before the high court. You found
it appropriate to proceed when the matter was sub-judice before the Supreme
Court," the bench said.
Justice Gavai said the high court's single judge had
only requested for deciding the schedule within four weeks.
"The single judge was gracious enough only to
direct that a schedule be fixed within a period of four weeks. He did not say
decide it within four weeks," the bench said.
The court said it had been argued before that the
power of a judicial review could be exercised by the high court only for
examining the correctness of a decision and there was no decision in this case.
"So, since there is no decision in the present
case, the high court could not have interfered with and therefore, this court
also should tie its hands away and look at the naked dance of democracy?"
the bench added.
If the request or direction of this court were not
abided by, the bench said, the court was not powerless.
"We have all the respect for the separation of
powers doctrine. No difficulty about that. But when a particular constitutional
provision has been made with a particular aim and objective, should the courts
permit that to be frustrated?" the bench asked.
The arguments would continue on April 3.
On March 25, senior advocate C A Sundaram, appearing
for BRS leader Padi Kaushik Reddy, argued the basic question was whether a
constitutional court had the power, authority and jurisdiction to require a
constitutional authority to act as per their constitutional mandate.
Sundaram said it would be a "total miscarriage
of justice" to say that a court was denuded of the power to ensure that an
authority acted in accordance with the Constitution.
On March 4, the apex court sought responses from the
Telangana government and others on the pleas, saying a timely decision was the
key and there could not be a case of "operation successful but patient is
dead".
Seeking responses from MLAs Danam Nagender, Venkata
Rao Tellam and Kadiyam Srihari, it had previously asked about the
"reasonable time" for the speaker to decide pleas seeking
disqualification of these MLAs.